facebook В контакте twitter

News

Monuments and Sights of Rostov the Great.

About Rostov the Great

 

 

Monuments and Sights

of Rostov the Great.

Rostov Kremlin, XVII-XVIII centuries.

The Rostov Kremlin initially represented the residence of bishops of the Growth and Yaroslavl diocese. Now the Rostov Kremlin is divided into three independent zones: actually hierarchal yard, an adjoining it from the North cathedral square and from the South - the Metropolitan garden.

  • Operating time: from 10:00 till 17:00 without days off.
  • Ph. +7 (48536) 6-17-17
  • Site: www.rostmuseum.ru
Plants: image 2 0f 25 thumb

The Assumption Cathedral, beginning of the XVI century.

It is a former cathedral of the Growth and Yaroslavl diocese. It is situated in the Rostov Kremlin. It has its own separate belfry. Together with the Kremlin, it forms a united central architectural complex of the city the look on which is especially remarkable from lake Nero.

Time of construction of the first wooden temple on this place isn't known. However in 1160 it was destroyed by a fire. Further on, in 1161, on command of the Grand duke Vladimir Andrey Bogolyubsky the construction of a white stone building which was destroyed by a fire in 1204 was begun. The new construction took 17 years to build it. The next strong fire happened in 1408, the arches and the head of the cathedral failed. Then it was again restored using white stone. The modern brick church was constructed in 1508 — 1512.

The belfry. In 1682 — 1687 during the time of the metropolitan Jonah the belfry which was topped with four heads and having 15 bells was constructed to the southeast from Assumption Cathedral. The greatest of the bells, Sysa, has weight about 2000 poods. The set of bells remained till nowadays. The bell Sysa is cast by the master Flor Terentyev in 1688. The second bell for weight "Poliyeleyny" weighs 1000 poods, the third, "The Swan" — 500 poods. The record "The Rostov rings" which was the noticeable phenomenon in cultural life of the country was written down in 1974 on the basis of the music of these bells.

Plants: image 25 0f 25 thumb

The Spaso-Yakovlevsky Dimitriyev monastery, XVIII-XIX centuries.

It is an orthodox man's monastery. It is located on the bank of lake Nero in the southwest part of Rostov. It was founded in 1389 by St. Iakov who was expelled from the city by the flock for pardon of the criminal who was expecting an execution. The Rostov bishop cut down the small wooden temple with his own hands and consecrated it in the honor of Conception of the Blessed Virgin. Soon a small community of adherents of the expelled bishop is formed near the church; that way a new monastery was created.

The Avraamiev Monastery, end of the XVI-XVII centuries.

In the east part of the city a part of constructions of one of the most ancient monasteries of northeast Russia – Avraamiyevsky – which was based more than eight centuries ago has remained. According to the legend, it was constructed on a place of a pagan temple of an idol of Veles. The monastery at first was constructed for fight against idolatry and was built for the city defense, then it turned into the center of distribution of Christianity and a stronghold of a monastic way of life.

From time immemorial, according to the legend, a presented staff was stored in the monastery by Christ's pupil Ioann Avraamiyu who broke the idol of Veles with the staff. Ivan the Terrible, when preparing for his next campaign to the Kazan khanate, stopped in Rostov and took the staff from the Avraamiyevsky monastery with himself, relying on its miracle force. In the fall of 1552 it besieged Kazan - the khanate capital. After a long siege and persistent fights Kazan fell. In those days churches were built in the honor of the major events in political life of the state. It is known that such monument in Moscow was the St. Basil's Cathedral on the Red Square which was constructed on Ivan's IV command after the capture of Kazan. But very few people know that in Rostov then his "younger brother" - the Epiphany Cathedral was also constructed on the command of Grozny in 1553-1554 on means of monarchic treasury in the Avraamiyevsky monastery. It was the imperial gratitude to the monastery for its "Wonderful" staff which helped to conquest the ‘the unfaithful’.

The Trinity – Sergiyev Varnitsky monastery, XVII-XIXVV.

The monastery of Russian Orthodox Church is located near Rostov the Great. As the farmstead of the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius it is under the direct jurisdiction of the Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia. The Troitse-Sergiyev Varnitsky monastery is founded by the Rostov archbishop Yefrem in 1427 in the Varnitsky settlement in the suburb of the city of Rostov on the birthplace of the Saint Sergey Radonezhsky of the Russian Orthodox Church, five years later after having found the Saint Sergey relics.

The Rozhdestvencky (Christmas) Monastery, XIVV.

It is based in the XIV century by the Saint archbishop Theodore, Saint Sergey Radonezhsky's nephew. Till the XVII century all constructions of the monastery were wooden. The beginning of the stone construction belongs to the end of the XVII century when Jonah Sysoyevich was the metropolitan. The first stone church is constructed for the sake of Christmas of the Virgin, this large two-storeyed building has a spacious refectory besides places for prayers.

Numerous alterations and losses (the belltower is taken to pieces, the gateway church of the Tikhvin God Mother - the middle of the XIX century - collapsed, the towers and walls are partial safe) have distorted the monument. In the general architectural forms which have remained till our days it gives concept about art taste of the era and shows the presence of talented architects in Rostov. There is an assumption that Christmas and Saviour at the Bargaining churches were built by the same masters, as the Kremlin temples.

The Church of St. John the Evangelist on Ishna, 1687-1689.

The entrance to the temple is issued as a portal with a keeled arch. Here there is a feeling of the old times, of the remote past. From a four-level iconostasis the darkened faces of the saints watch down at you. Only specially peering you can see how the grooves are densely driven, the floor is solid, the ceiling is gathered "in a fir-tree" from small plates. But original decoration of the temple - a carved gilded imperial gate – is a fruit of work of the unknown monk Isaiah.

One of the best-known construction is connected with temple on Ishna and is important in the history of Rostov legends. It is known to us from Saint Avraamiya Rostovsky's life, the founder of Bogoyavlensky Avraamiev Monastery. It was in those days when in local places the paganism was very strong, and many inhabitants worshipped a stone idol of god of Veles. The prelate couldn't even approach to the idol in any way, overwhelmed by devil delusions. At last due to his prayer an aged man came who advised Avraamy to go to Tsargrad and to pray there in the John Evangelist's temple. The prelate was upset very much because that the road was long, and he would manage to win idolaters of Rostov not that soon. But nevertheless he went off. He didn't manage to pass the river Ishnya as met another aged man who asked him about his intentions and handed him his staff with the words: "Take my cane and approach to the idol of Veles, subvert it with this cane for the sake of John the Evangelist, and it, damned, will scatter in ashes". Then Avraamy understood that there before him was John the Evangelist. He made everything as he was ordered by the saint, and later on the place where he met him, founded a temple in the sake of John the Evangelist.

Nikolay Chudotvorts's church on Vspolye, 1813.

It is a parishional church, which was built in 1813. In the XVII century a wooden tent church stood on this place there, and still earlier there was a monastery. In its architecture the lines of classicism are noticeable: facades are decorated with porticoes with four columns and pediments each. From the West the church is adjoined by a two-story bell tower. There are ancient icons of XV and XVI centuries in the temple.

The Church of Voznesenya, 1566г.

The Church of Voznesenya, differently called as the Church of Isidor Blazhenny is one of the most ancient stone temples of Rostov. Earlier in the church there was a stone plate with a an inscription in which it was said that the church was constructed in 1566 by the command of the tsar Ioann Grozny at the time of archbishop Nikandre Rostovskom. The name of the architect Andrey Maloy was also mentioned in the inscription. The church was constructed on the place of the burial of blessed Isidor, his sacred relics are buried there underneath. The church has much in common with the Moscow posadsky temples of that time in architecture.

The Church of the Tolgsky God Mother, 1761.

The temple in the honor of Ioann Milostivy was initially called as a temple of the Tolgsky icon of the God Mother and was built in 1761. The temple was small and also was parishional. Its coronation was carried out by means of one of the central boards, and there was a "modest" two-story belltower nearby which was constructed on the funds of parishional inhabitants from Ivanovskaya Street which is called today as Dekabristov Street. The temple got the second name from the Blessed Saint Ioann Vlasatov or Ioann Milostivy whose relics are carefully stored at the temple.

Kosma and Damian's church, 1175.

It is the Church of the God Mother of Smolensk. It is better known in the city under the name of "Kosma and Damian". It is built in 1775 on the place of an ancient Kozmodemyansky monastery. It was built in 1777, it was closed one of the first in 1926. At the beginning of 2004 on the Most eminent Kirill's blessing, the Yaroslavsky and Rostov Archbishop, there was organized a parish of the church of Saint Kosma and Damian of the Yaroslavl diocese of Russian Orthodox Church. The warm refectory part of the temple is adapted for church service and though the temple has no special remarkable shrines, it became the "house" for the residential area which is surrounding it.

The Church of the Intercession of the Holy God Mother, 1795.

The church was built in 1808. Afterwards the temple was rebuilt out of wood. After an awful fire the faithful merchants of Rostov decided to restore the temple. The construction of the new stone temple began in 1795 and was finished in 1803. In godless 20-ies of the XX century the temple was robbed, in the 30th the temple was converted into a public dining room, all domes and crosses were cleaned. Since 2004 starts its restoration.

Nikolay Chudotvorts's church on Podozerye, 1745 – 1751гг.

The stone two-altar church, was built in 1745 on means of parishioners instead of an old wooden one. The main capacity of the temple is a double lighted single-headed chetverik with a refectory and a level bell tower. It has a side-altar Skorbyashchensky. In the 1930th it was closed, the bell tower was broken. Since 1998 its restoration began, and it is nowadays restored to the former condition.

The Church "Saviour on sand", XVIIв.

The Spasopeskovsky church was built as a female Spaso-Pesotsky Knyaginin's cathedral temple of a monastery. The monastery was founded by the princess Maria, the wife of the Rostov prince Vasilk, in the XIII century. The princess Maria was buried in 1271 under the Spassky wooden church which, probably, stood on the same place where the stone cathedral towers are now. It was constructed, judging by a inscription on the church, in 1603. In the middle of the XVII century the building was reconstructed, but how strong it is –researchers still didn't manage to find it out.

The Petrovsky Monastery, XVII-XIXVV.

The Rostov Petrovsky monastery belongs to the number of the most ancient monasteries in Russia. It is in one verst from the city of Rostov, the Yaroslavl province, almost on the coast of the lake Nero. The district surrounding the monastery represents itself a low plain which is bordered with the lake on the right side, and with a wood from the left. In the spring time this lowland near the monastery is flooded with flood of the lake and the river of Veksa following from it on considerable space that gives to monastic surroundings quite a picturesque look. There is a small slobodka called Petrovsky sheltered near the monastery.

Now the Petrovsky monastery as an architectural complex is half destroyed. From the constructions four angular towers, the Mother Superior’s building and the temple of the Praise of the God Mother (XVII century) remained till nowadays. In the last part of the Soviet period a beer factory, later on — an office and the masterful enterprises "Rostovagropromenergo" which caused a deplorable condition of the temple settled there down. Walls of the monastery and Peter and Pavel's Cathedral are taken to bricks.

The Saviour church at the Trade place, 1685 – 1690гг.

It has a national name the Saviour of Ruzhnaya. It "is written" in the plan of Gostiny dvor and is called so because it was among the malls, for many years it had no parishioners, and "ruga" – a special charge, donations was a source of its existence. It was constructed of wood in 1206 for the first time. During the Polish-Lithuanian invasion it was plundered and burned to the end. For about 40 years this place was empty. In 1654 in July "the morovy ulcer" started in Rostov, it was so strong that many people died, and the live were not able to bury the dead. Without knowing how to fight against the epidemic, the Rostov people built a wooden temple on this place on monetary charge, in a strong fire of 1671 it was again burned down to the end. The church which remained till our time is one of the Saviour at the Trade place was constructed on the same place on means of citizens in 1685-1690 when Jonah Sysoyevich was the metropolitan.

The Mytny yard, 1830.

The complex of the Mytny yard was built in 1832. The name of the yard comes from the word "myto’ which means a charge for goods which were transported to the Trade place. This long building in style the classicism, framed from the northern and southern sides with galleries with the arcades divided in the center by travel gate with big pediments. In spring, in days of carrying out the well-known Rostov fair –it took the third placein Russia by the size - here as well as in Malls, a rough trade took place. Now on Saturdays the territory of the Mytny yard was occupied by the city market so its mission in fact hasn’t changed for almost two centuries.

The Gostiny dvor, 1840 – 1841гг.

It was built on a place of an ancient market place. The trade is being carried out in a new stone Gostiny dvor since 1839 which takes a whole block on the perimeter. The shape of the complex hasn’t practically changed since the XIX century, and nowadays it is used directly due to its destination.

The city Garden, XIXV middle.

The city park is founded on July 31, 1830. At that time a close attention to improvement of the cities in Russia was paid. The provincial administration gave the merchant Khlebnikov 500 rubles for the garden construction. The merchant Khlebnikov didn't steal the money, but also added 363 rubles 26 kopeks from his own pocket. Last year the park was significantly changed. Some remarkable playgrounds are constructed. Each platform is for children of a certain age, starting with one-year-old children. For Russia it is still very rare. The embankment of the lake Nero is completely renewed.

Kekin's gymnasium, 1908 – 1910гг.

It is a municipal educational institution. It was founded in 1910. In 1992 the status of the gymnasium was returned to the school and it was named after the Rostov merchant patron Alexey Leontyevich Kekin.

Plants: image 25 0f 25 thumb

The Konyushenny yard, XVII century.

It is located at the walls of the Rostov Kremlin, it is a unique structure, the only Stable yard of the XVII century in Russia which remained till our days . It was built in the 1680-1690th at the time of metropolitan Ioasaf, Jonah Sysoyevich's successor. Till recent time it was only the broken walls and brick blockages, but in 2013 the reconstruction of the konyushenny yard was begun.

Музеи

Plants: image 25 0f 25 thumb

GMZ "the Rostov Kremlin"

  • 152151, Yar. Region, Rostov
  • Ph. +7 (48536) 6-15-02, 6-17-17, 6-32-94
  • Operating time: from 10:00 till 17:00 Without days off.
  • Site: www.rostmuseum.ru
Plants: image 25 0f 25 thumb

The Museum of Rostov merchants

  • 152155, Yar. Region, Rostov, Leninskaya St., 32.
  • Ph. +7 (48536) 6-40-99
  • Operating time: from 10:00 till 17:00, Monday and Tuesday are days off.
Plants: image 25 0f 25 thumb

The Museum Rostov Enamel Factory

  • 152155, Yar. Region, Rostov, Borisoglebskoye Highway, 3.
  • Ph. +7 (48536) 7-49-21, 7-52-29
  • Operating time: daily from 9:00 till 16:00, Saturday, Sunday – only on preliminary record.
  • Site: www.finift-nhp.ru
Plants: image 25 0f 25 thumb

Rostov House of crafts

  • 152151, Yar. Region, Rostov, 2nd Tolstovskaya Embankment, 16.
  • Ph. +7 (48536) 6-72-23, +7 (906) 631-58-57
  • Operating mode: daily from 10:00 till 18:00.
  • Site: www.domremesel.com
Plants: image 25 0f 25 thumb

The Workshop "Chernoloshchyonaya ceramics"

  • 152151, Yar. Region, Rostov, Kremlin
  • Ph. +7 (48536) 6-44-52, +7 (906) 631-58-57
  • Operating time: daily from 9:00 till 17:00
  • Site: www.domremesel.com
Plants: image 25 0f 25 thumb

The "Art studio"

  • 152151, Yar. Region, Rostov, Petrovichev St., 19/3
  • Ph. +7 (910) 663-81-27
  • Operating time: daily from 10:00 till 17:00.
Plants: image 25 0f 25 thumb

The Museum "Tsarevnas — Frogs"

  • 152155, Yar. Region, Rostov, Leninskaya St., 20.
  • Ph. +7 (48536) 7-54-31, 7-50-60.
  • Operating time: daily from 10:00 till 18:00.
  • Site: www.carevna.net
Plants: image 25 0f 25 thumb

JSC Tvorcheskoye association "Hors"

  • 152151, Yar. Region, Rostov, Podozerk St., 31.
  • Ph. +7 (48536) 6-24-83.
  • Operating time in winter: from 12:00 till 18:00.
  • Operating time in summer: from 12:00 till 21:00.
  • Site: www.khors.org
Plants: image 25 0f 25 thumb

"Alyosha Popovic's powerful farmstead"

  • 152155, Yar. Region, Rostov, st. of Frunze, 21а.
  • Ph. +7 (48536) 6-60-02, 6-60-03, +7 (961) 153-06-10.
  • Operating till: daily from 10:00 till 19:00.
Яндекс.Метрика
American Express, Master Card, Master Card Eloctronic, Maestro, VISA, VISA Electron, Diners Club international, Discover net work, JCB
Яблочный Спас.